Decoding The Defining Aspect Of Depression
Depression. This is the word that is being used rather prevalently these days in our society. One could argue that the word is being thrown around without much of recourse on the gravity of its meaning. You see, a majority of our youth confuse sadness with something as serious as depression. Perhaps therein lies the problem. Maybe we need to see through the whole packaging of this condition and get to the core to see what exactly our people mean when they use this term. Medically speaking depression is “feelings of severe despondency and dejection”. Despondency is the prime focal word here, as it talks about a condition of a state of being caused by lost hope or courage.
We often see that people mix the two words, Despondency and Depression, and use them interchangeably. However, lack of hope is not equal to hopelessness. We need to understand that, and we need to do it right now? There’s a fine line between the two. But why is this demarcation important? Simple, we see that Depression in the truest form of the word has become popular in our society. Is it all based on a confusion mishap? No, definitely not. Of course, owing to our sudden shifts in culture and lifestyle, and to out never-ending economic turmoil, Depression is a very valid state of mind. The tragic part is that Depression is taking our youth into its womb, and we are left helpless, as we see the malady suck out their lives.
10 Symptoms Of Depression – Beware of These Signs
In a recent study, it has been revealed that almost about 4.5% of Indian Population suffers from Depression today. That percentage amounts to more than 56 Lakh people across our country.
Thus, we can see that Depression is something very potent and prevalent. And it is an issue we need to address immediately. But how do we do that? Depression is a disorder that controls the mind and its functions causing loss of appetite, sleeplessness, mood swings, and a deep sense of despair.
The symptoms of depression are varied, and the severity changes with time. And, according to experts’ depression can be an inherited disorder, or caused by life-threatening illnesses, or stress. Other causes are certain diseases, medicines, drugs, alcohol, or mental illnesses. Women are seen to experience depression more than men, and this is attributed to hormonal swings, menstrual cycle changes, pregnancy, miscarriage, pre-menopause, and post-menopause.
Although the factors which lead to depression might be varying, it is safe to say that, the symptoms are always a standard giveaway. The common symptoms of suffering from Depression are:
1. An unshakeable sense of sadness, anxiety, or emptiness all through the day, usually associated with visible trigger points and memories.
2. Overwhelming hopelessness accompanied by pessimistic feelings. You can see that you are giving up way too easily.
3. Extreme guilt, feelings of helplessness, and no sense of self-worth. This has been seen in many youths, right after ending their relationship.
4. Loss of energy, a slowing down of metabolism, and activity levels. Being plagued by constant fatigue. Emotions manifest into physical binds, thus leading to a messed up body routine.
5. A sense of helplessness along with an increasing inability to focus and indecisiveness. When you see that you are no longer in control of things.
6. Loss of sound sleep and development of extreme insomnia. A straight giveaway at this point is chronic insomnia which in turn affects your mood and being.
7. Inexplicable weight loss or weight gain. Triggered by the loss of appetite or eating binges. A visible change in your metabolism is always coupled with vibrant food habits.
8. Brooding and suicidal inclinations. You seem to get lost in thoughts way too much, and see a vision of a world without you.
9. Irritability, short temper, as well as restlessness. There’s an unexplainable irritation towards your surroundings.
10. Physical afflictions like headaches, digestive disorders, and chronic pain for no particular reason.
Remedial Measures Of Depression – Identification And More
If you experience any of the above along with a marked change in behaviour, do consult your doctor. It is always a good practice to consult a psychologist in this regard rather than do your own medication.
Remedial Measure – A First Aid Kit
People always claim that they suffer from Depression, but they can’t do much about it. That is a myth. As they say – The Change Starts From You. You need to recognise that you might just be spiralling down. Take matters in hand and try and erase negativity from your mind. Initial remedial measures could be,
1. Set yourself some goals. Smaller and Simpler goals, upon achieving which you will need to celebrate. Pamper yourself with small treats, and look forward to the next one.
2. Try different kinds of music, and places. Newer tastes in music, food and places, have known to reduce anxiety and depression to a larger extent.
3. Allot days of activities. Mark your calendar for events and group meetings across different parts of the city. This will help you explore and expand your thought process.
4. If the above measures, don’t really work out for you, you will need to consult a doctor with no further delay. The medications which are usually prescribed at the consultation are – Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI) or Serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs). These are basically Anti-depressants which help relieve the feeling of anxiety and reduced the chances of relapse. Be aware and Be Alive.